
I interviewed one of my neighbors, she is 78 years old, she has absolutely no interest in sustainability. I sat down with her and explained to her what China and India's situation was, and she told me that long story about how she grew up on a farm, where the only thing they had to worry about was whether or not it would be a dry or wet season, whether or not the locusts will be back to eat all the crops again. The fact that we had different upbringing kind of explains her point of view. Our generation does not even care about where the food comes from, as long as it is obtainable, they are okay with the situation. She told me that they had a say in what they eat everyday, she said that she feels that if she had to think of it, we are moving backwards compare to when she was young. She came over to my house, and I showed her my recycle bins and everything else that I was doing to be more sustainable, and she thought it was hard work. I explained to her that most of the decisions I have made are based on the knowledge that I acquired from my Colloquium class. You know what she said? She said, "Well, keep learning son, you have a long way to go if you are to make a difference in this world." I told her that I had every intention to help make the world a better place.

No comments:
Post a Comment