


The trip downtown Fort Myers was very instructive, and fun. The ride down McGregor Boulevard, we saw Edison’s vacation home. I learned so much, like the prehistoric beasts that populated the area before mankind, those were some huge beasts, the sea monsters were among some of the most fascinating animals I have ever seen. I never knew there were so many palm trees in the world, saw palmetto, queen palm tree, Mexican fan palm, needle palm, sebal palm, just to name a few. I definitely enjoyed the indoor tour of the museum, it was a great insight on the different people that populated the area over the years, from the Caloosa Indians to the Spanish conquerors. I am proud to say that I know who the town of Fort Myers is named after, Abraham Charles Myers. I have to admit that big history poster we saw outside did a really good job of telling the story of the town. That poster had everything in it, from the Indians, to the Spanish, the African slaves, the cowboys, etc. Back outside, those buildings were amazing, I used to be obsessed with architecture when I was younger. And, seeing those antique buildings really brought me back to those days, the old bank was among some of my favorites. I enjoyed the walk outside, because it was new to me; I have lived in Naples for almost 10 years, and I have never visited downtown Fort Myers. All those projects that they have planned for the area will definitely bring in more visitors, not that they need any help; the town is gorgeous the way it is. If I were to redesign the town, I would probably include more athletic activities to attract more of the young crowd. The town seemed kind of dead, I would try to revive it by organizing events that would attract people from the community and encourage them to participate in preserving the identity and beauty of the town. The pier is one of the most empty parts of the town, there were hardly any people there, that is another area that could be improved to bring community awareness around the town. And, to conclude, the last thing that we saw was the displays of the three great men that made Fort Myers their homes, Thomas Edison, Henry Ford, and Harvey Firestone. The display had all kind of animals in it, manatees, dolphins, frogs, turtles, etc. It was a great way to show their plans of preserving the town and the lives in it.

No comments:
Post a Comment